Thursday, December 27, 2007

Raptor 50- Setup

Here is what I have in my raptor.

R50 (click below to see more)
OS hyper + Hatori #522
Hitec 635hb on alieron
Hitec 6965hb on elevator and collective
TJ pro + S9254 on throttle
Logictech 6100T
Rotor Tech 610mm main blades
Carbon Tech 95mm tail blades
Flight power evo-rx 2s 1320mah and Dualsky vr-8l regulator

This raptor started out with pretty much all the basic stuff, tt50, stock muffler, S3001 servos, futaba gy502, FG blades...etc etc. I upgraded the electronics and engine along the way because I thought they were limiting my flying a bit. I still have the 635hb on the alieron because its still working, so no point upgrading. Yes, I do feel a big difference between the 6965hb and the 635hb I had on collective and elevator previously, but I am flying on a shoe string budget...so why change something that still work good? And in case anyone is wondering, I don't follow trends, I was already on the hitec 6965hb when futaba 9252 was the only servo to have and hitec was hated badly...

My hyper is getting worn and tired so power is slightly down. Coupled with the fact that I lower my fuel nitro content recently, power is really down. I thought since I can't increase the power furthur, why not reduce the weight? As such, my raptor went through a series of weight reduction.


Flying on a small budget requires minimal upgrades and blings to keep cost low. So I only buy what I feel I need and indeed, these are the stuff that will really give the edge in performance. Furthurmore, plastic is always lighter than metal...I went through a bit of metal this metal that on my old r30v1 and tbh, some upgrades like metal tail pitch arm and tail mounted servos are more like downgrades.

Mod/Upgrades
Metal Headblock-no more rotor hub wear, stiffer head and most importantly, it doesn't crack with high rpm.

Metal washout hub-tightens the control feel.

SUS tail hub. Never had any problem with the stock v2 hub for a good 500+flights on the r30 and r50 combined, but it was a cheap assurance.

TT green paddles-this makes the raptor comes ALIVE.

Red dampers-Prevent boom strikes and gives a more direct feel to the control.

Align 3D carbon fins- No. 1 reason I got them is because they are CHEAP for carbon fins. Saves weight too.

Coke Can shim on one way hub-my hub was locking up randomly, the shim took away the free play on my one way and it doesn't seems to lock anymore.

Canopy screw mod- reference from one of my flying buddy's site
Solved my problem of canopy jumping everything I do a quick pitch reversal.

Kasama mixing level arm

Elevator A arms

Some upgrades that I would like to see for the raptor...I.E. nobody make them...
1. Plastic tail grips with thrust bearings
2. Elevator A arms with bearing supported pivot
3. Redesigned flybar carrier and mixing level for a different flybar ratio and more pitch

No comments :