Thursday, December 27, 2007

RotorTech 610mm

I always thought I suck at flying...but after I started flying these, I realised that it wasn't me, it was the blades. I was using the GCT xpert 620mm prior to these and those were bogging my head badly. There is no doubt that I have never seen my raptor SOAR at that speed before with the GCT's, but cyclic was slow and bogging bad.

With these rotor tech's, I could tic-toc w/o using any form of stick management or restrain. Flip and roll rate improved tremendously. They are practically UNBOGGABLE. Probably the best 600mm class blades.


HOWEVER...


Because of their exceptional light weight, they can't auto for nutz. I have only tried one auto on them and I already promised myself never to auto with them again. There just don't stop falling when I pull and flair at the end of the auto. They feel slightly less poppy and don't seem to bite when you want them to like at the stop in a slapper. It might have something to do with my limited pitch range, I feel. +/-13 should do the trick, but the raptor's mechanism cannot do this.




Finish and quality...

Absolutely no doubt that these are good flying blades, but their finish are not very good. I have only gotten 2 pairs(Thats 4blades for those who can't count..:P) so far but only 1 single blade has been perfect.

In the first pair...2x red ones... one blade was thicker at the root, so it was pretty tight in my blade grip, the other was fine. The one that has a ok fitting root had this little black mark at the root.

In the second pair...one blade(the blue one) had tiny pores on it. The other one is the perfect one. However, their carbon weaves were not very clean.

Kinda sucky when you think how much they are charging you....

The holes can be seen here.
Dirts and imperfection in carbon weavings.


Blue looks way way better, doesn't it?


UPDATE: After some furthur trying, I finally managed to auto with these blades with a soft and smooth landing!!! The key to auto with them is SLOW DESEND AND AMPLE FORWARD SPEED. I found that you can't dive-in to a auto like with other blades that my flying buddies always do because the blades don't produce enough punch at the end of the auto. Furthurmore, unlike the GCT620mm that I was using, you can't gain forward speed after throttle hold, you need to gain it BEFORE and I am talking about slow ff, not fast. A very slow and smooth decend is enough to maintain the headspeed. I guess the 11.5degree at the top end helps a lot too.

No comments :