Thursday, December 27, 2007

Tail Blades

Since I am not a hardcore 3d flyer and I am flying on a pretty tight budget, I don't really spend too much on tail blades. Till date I have only flown the stock plastic blades, the NHP carbons and the Carbon Tech's. Can I feel the difference between carbon and plastic? I do, but sometimes I wonder if its psychological or real. Carbon tail blades feel tighter in flight, hold slightly better and gives you are "more direct", "more connected" feel.


Plastic

The stock one will work for most form of flying and are extremely durable because they survive impact way way better than carbon ones which tend to blow apart in crashes. Although they feel pretty soft, they actually do tighten up when being spinned up.


NHP

Theses have foam core and are unsealed at the tip, a square tip. The newer generation are sealed and have round tip. Wide cord too. Quite durable compared to the Carbon Tech because they don't chip when they touch grass, but if you touch hard, they SPLIT. Also, I learnt from experience that these have difference thickness and I had a pack that came with 2 blades of different thickness at the root.

Carbon Tech

I am using the Carbon Tech 92/26mm on my raptor. If only the raptor tail grips have got thrust bearings, I will get some 95mm on it because the 92/26mm doesn't seem to be quite enough for fast tic-toc. Its holding fine for 99% of the time. These will require proper landing techniques because they can chip off easily upon touching ground, otherwise a longer and stiffer tail fin wil help a lot too.

No comments :