Thursday, January 3, 2008

GCT 620mm

Prior to flying the rotor tech 610mm, I was flying the GCT 620mm blades. Gotta admit I was kinda caught up in the "longer is better" hype. These blades came in a nice hard box and were hold apart by two foam spacer. A much better way of blade packaging compared to the funkey method of plastic sheet between blades that I am used to. Supposed to be carbon blades, not sure if its pure CF or just CF reinforced. Narrow cord at 50mm and weights 140g.

They look nice. Black, silver and white top with a silver finish on the bottom. Looks great with the TT green paddles. Came balanced. The leading edge had some imperfection but it flies fine.
Initial Flight Feel
Exceptional climb rate. It had very good punch compared to the Funkey FG blades that I had always been using. Cyclic wasn't fast, but it wasn't too slow either. My heli suddenly climb so well and fast that my loops became so much more larger than it was.
After a Good Amount of Time with These Blades
Initially I thought the bogging on flips and rolls was because of engine tuning because I was still running extremely rich when I first tested these blades. However, my engine never really seemed to regain the power that it had. Later I realised that it was because of this blades. The blades were fine in a climbout even holding 11degree of pitch. It will loop and roll fine. Large open maneuvers like funnel, rolling stall turn, hurricane was all great with this blades. It was only when you do fast and tight maneuvers like tic-tocs that this blades simply cannot catch up with. Overall, I would think it will perform great as a pair of F3C learning blades than 3D flying. One thing I discovered was that despite the constant loading and slight bogging of my engine, my engine actually ran cooler with these blades. Weird, but true. They are great for learning aerobatics, but definately not 3D. Autos are easy with this, not a hell lot of hang time, but it auto way much better than the rotor tech 610mm or Funkey 600mm.
Sold them to one of my flying buddies after a few months of flying with these blades.

No comments :