Thursday, February 21, 2008

Hatori #522


I was using this way before it became popular or even before many have heard about this muffler. At that time, the craze was the JK hatori and MP II, since I couldn't see myself throwing that much money on a JK hatori or MP II(it was expensive at my LHS), I got this. The first time I saw its performance was in a video by the hatori team and it was great, so I got it the moment it reached my LHS.
I can't comment too much on its power since I haven't tried the other expensive pipes, but it sure was miles ahead of my tt50 muffler. Very solid construction. Included in the box that the muffler came with was a sheet of paper that claims the muffler is tuned for increased torque in the 13000-17000rpm. Beyond 17000rpm, it is similar to a conventional muffler. The rpm range doesn't really bother me since I run my engine around 16800rpm so that it doesn't overspeed on fast "push over". The difference between a good tuned muffler and a lousy muffler is not in the rpm or punch, but rather, the ability to keep that rpm when you load the engine up bad.
I crashed the heli recently and dented the muffler badly, but its now almost repaired.



This is how exhaust in the #522 moves from the header to the outlet. The blue parts in the red/pink/purple region are the internal baffles.

No comments :