Sunday, February 24, 2008

Boom Strike

Had a boom strike while pulling out from inverted flight. Really couldn't believe it wasn't a boom strike in something that I wasn't familiar with like a ugly piro flip or backward snake. Plus I was really gentle that flight because my landing gear was loose but guess it wasn't enough. This crash sent a shocking signal to me-I am really inconsistent. Totally changed my opinion of needing a 90size.

Damage wasn't that bad. Except everything on the boom broke and I do mean everything including the not so usual parts like tail case and rod guides. Belt broke and clutch went jammed, despite the fact that the engine died in the air and everything went dead before the heli touched ground. Heli just dropped at free-fall from eye level, which is another reason why sometimes being low is better than high. Dented the muffler and broke the skid because of the free-fall. It would have been much much more expensive if it wasn't a raptor. Suprisingly, the blades didn't break into pieces like my previous crashes, guess they are really strong.


The carnage

Got it fixed and had a few flights on it and as far as I can tell, the TT muffler is really LOUSY. While it will let the engine rev freely, I have to manage the collective very well for the slightest mistake will bog the engine. It isn't like the hatori which holds the rpm there when its loaded. I choose to reuse my 8.5 gearing and tbh, so far I am quite happy with it because I get more headspeed w/o reving my engine out of its life. My headspeed is now 1980rpm, 60rpm increase from before the crash. With the rotor tech 610mm, its very fast in pitch pumping. Have only done one flight with the new rotor tech 610mm.



This is how I choose to fly it for now, funkey fg 600mm and plastic tail blade, till I get back my confident...the funkey 600mm is miles behind in performance, but the plastic tail blade holds pretty well for now..

Post thoughts- This crash taught me 3 things.

1. I am not handling the collective too well.

2. The pilot can only be as good as the heli. I.E., no matter how good everything else is, if you have just 1 weak link in the heli(could be a muffler, blade or anything), you will only be as good as that weakest link.

3. I haven't improve at all for the past few years, its just my equipment getting better. The change back to the very basic stuffs that I started out with years ago is a huge difference compared to what I had prior to the crash.

2 comments :

mazon said...

yo, bad luck man, how did the heli boom strike when pulling from invert?

everybody crashes once awhile, it just means we have to practice harder . haha . dont worry too much your flying definitely improved from the first time i saw u fly. which was already very zai.

maybe take break n come back to fly again. i haven flown for more than 1 mth man. have to start from basics again.

Calvin Lin said...

Inverted circuit, bank too steep plus not enough rudder, so ended up looking like pie dish, then I tried to pull out and over pull a bit..next thing I know everything was silent...

I flew the stuff I started out with on the r50-funkey 600mm and the stock tt muffler. All I can say is...its the equipment that makes the pilot, LOL. The difference between the hatori and rotor tech vs the funkey and tt muffler is NIGHT AND DAY...

Have not seen you for some time liao..