Monday, August 11, 2008

My Dream, my Pride, my Joy

After waiting and waiting and waiting and yet more days of waiting...the T-rex 700N hit my local shore. It was one week later than I expected. Oh well...at least its here. It was the first to leave the LHS door(which makes me the FIRST owner of 700N on my little island) and probably the first 700N to attempt flight...all thanks to my 8-10hours of building time daily.

Got it on 4th of Aug. Spent a few days and almost 2kg of my body mass(YES I LOST 2KG FIXING THIS) to build this thing. Though the 700N is pretty simple and has relatively few parts, I feel that its still a much more complicated build compared to my raptor. In the same time that I build this 700N, I probably could have took my raptor apart, assemble it, take it apart, assemble it again and still be left with enough time to watch a whole series of japanese drama. My build start on a monday, by thursday it was down to mounting the electronics and setting up the electronics.

I ripped out the TJ pro from my raptor(which means it now has the ATG) because I couldn't find a suitable place to mount the ATG on the 700, reason being setting the ATG requires access to the buttons on one end and the g-view slot at the other. I am using the ATG sensor on the 700N though.

The rest of the setup is pretty much as what I planned.

YS91SR + MP5
TJ pro + Hitec 325HB(too lazy to rip out the 9254 from the raptor)
Solid-g + BLS251
Ino Lab-760mg on ccpm
Radix 710SB
stock paddles and tail blades
Dualsky vr-8l regulator and Evo-rx 2100mah

Will be doing a build post and tips and tricks for the 700N soon when I have the time. For now I need to catch up on the 1week worth of lecture notes and tutorial that I have neglected. I have recently be accepted as a paid contributing editor on rcheliresource.com , so most, if not all self produced articles and contents that I post there will probably end up here too. Just to clarify, while the title "paid contributing editor" sounds cool, my pay per week is only just enough to pay for 1 flight worth of nitro for my 700N...LOL...of course you guys can help me by clicking and viewing my full articles there and clicking the google ads at the side, but erm...that is not quite legal..haha...anyway thats beside the point...

Enough talk...time for some pictures.
Whats in the BOX??






The completed heli



Some size comparison between the raptor and 700N





In the car boot and at the field on a quiet and cool sunday morning.





First maiden(8/8/08)...the very day olympic started...

Got the solid g on reverse but left the G-view at home. Dinged the tail blades when the heli started spinning on the ground.(More on the tail blades in another day, its positive though). So I had to pack up everything. Engine was struggling with idle a little bit, but overall my starter was able to crank it.

Went back to the field with G-view, got everything set BUT MY STARTER CAN'T CRANK THE ENGINE. Used my hand to turn and it wasn't lock, so I thought it was my starter. Tried the starter with a BIG CAR BATT WITH THE CAR RUNNING and the engine wouldn't even budge. When I say a big car battery, I do mean a real car battery and not those puny car batts found on today's japanese sedans. Pack up and headed home-dissappointed. Sent a pm to my flying buddy that day to borrow his starter :P

Initially I had trouble with treading the metal rod of the tail rudder linkage into the carbon rod, so I left it all off all together, but then it there was too much vibration on the rod that I had to spent a good 15mins to tread the rod in when I got back home.



Successful Maiden- The real maiden flight(9/8/08) - National Day

Had trouble cranking the engine even with my friend's bigger starter. At the suggestion of another flying buddy who was just dropping by the field, I took the plug out and give it a few crank. Sure enough, lots of fuel came out. After that, the bigger starter had not problem cranking it. My starter was turning it over, but still it looked like it was struggling bad.

Maiden was uneventful. The whole time I was worried of screw coming loose due to insufficent locktite, but all have been well so far.

I thought my headspeed was quite ok and my governor was engaging and that 90size in a low speed break in is suppose to look like that. After my friend told me mine looked really slow, I gave it a look over when I went home after 2.5 flights. The next day out with my tach, I realised that I was only running 1250-1300 and thus my governor was not engaging. That explains why it didn't felt as good as I expected. I know what many will say, but I always run in my engine with my governor on. The only flight which I will leave my governor off is the very first flight of a new engine/piston/ring. Rpm has been increased to around 1550 now. Btw, it is possible to even do circuits at 1300rpm on a 90size. Simply amazing.

Its probably too early to comment on the flight performance, but this thing climbs quite a bit faster than my raptor. Might change out the paddles and tail blades when I see the need to.

Special thanks to those who helped me at the field on maiden day.

No comments :