Saturday, August 16, 2008

700N build issues

First off, some build issues that I faced with the 700N...

1. The rubber grommet hole on my canopy was drilled unequal and too rearward of both sides.
This resulted in having one side of the canopy bulging in the middle and touching the main gear when mounted on.



Instead of redrilling, I added spacer to the canopy mounting post. This solves the problem. Notice the different spacer thickness because of misaligned mounting holes.






2. Page 22 Linkage rod D
The length in the instruction manual was a little too short for the swash to be level. I had to increase mine by about 3mm. Some say they had to increase theirs by up to 5mm, so YMMV.


3. Ball Links do not go onto the rod straight.
A handful (a big handful) of my push rods do no go into ball links straight. The problem I am facing is that I can start out really straight but once it get tight, it just goes crocked.



4. Tail fin being slanted when tail case is fully tightened.
I had already read about this on the Align forum in Chance's build thread. I have the same issue too. Spacers will help to solve the problem, but I am just lazy to take it out now.

I suppose this is because of the tail case clamp closing up when tightened down.


5. Fuel Line hole on the main frame.
I am using a YS 91SR and when mounted on, the regulator will touch the fuel line IF I use the upper hole on the main frame. Using the lower one seems to solve it.


6. I am not usually that picky, but since this is my new heli, I hope it looks and stays clean for a while. Unforunately the white gears are already getting really dirty just after 4flights.


7. CF Rod reinforcement for the Rudder control rod
Either the metal rod is too big or the cf sleeve is too tiny. There was no such problem in the pre-production or the first batch kit, but on the second batch, the metal rod took a lot of effort to screw in, whereas on the older kits, it just slip in in a matter of seconds. Took me 15mins or more to get mine in. Its the CF rod at the bottom of the photo. I tried running without the CF sleeve but there seems to be too much flexing and vibration on the metal rod even at idle, definately a place where metal fatigue will take effect. This CF sleeve is a must.


On a more positive note, my kit came with a very thin shim for the main shaft and that one fits PERFECT on the main shaft. All problem that I have, except for the ball links/linkage rods issues, were pretty minor and easily resolved. Align seems to have also improve the quality of their tail blades. The one that my friends had on their 600N were hollow, the 700N ones appears to be solid and filled-I know because my tail blade got ding..

No comments :