Monday, June 23, 2014

How to fix the phantom tap / multi tap on wp8 nokia 1320

Living with the window phone 8, nokia 1320, I came to understand the reason of phantom taps.

I didn't have any phantom taps issues before I applied a screen protector.

If you are wondering what is phantom taps, you probably do not have this issue.

Phantom taps is when alphabets that are typed out get repeated with just one press. This means, the repetitions are not intended. See below screen shot for an example:


 
I found the issue to be screen sensitivity related. While many users will recommend reducing the screen sensitivity to fix this problem, I suggest that you INCREASE your sensitivity. This works for me.
 
From my usage, I observe the phantom taps issue to be more prominent in the following situations:
- Light touch on the screen
- Tapping the phone while having it on a soft platform, e.g. your bed
- Not tapping sufficient hard
 
The reason behind my phantom touch issue was that the screen protector reduced the touch sensitivity of the phone. When a light press was made, one thinks you have pressed once, but the phone actually recognised it as multiple very short and fast taps.
 
This is because the phone touch screen digitizer probably has a threshold value where below it, a touch is not registered. Above the threshold, a touch is registered. So with a light short tap around the threshold value, the phone may have registered the tap as 2 or 3 taps because it went above the threshold, below the threshold, then above the threshold...a light tap through a screen protector that triggers this issue was probably my problem...



No comments :